Helpful Tips for your upcoming E-session!
My clients are always asking for tips on choosing outfits, props, location, styling, etc, for their engagement session. So I’ve decided to create a little list of guidelines to help inspire your inner creative. Follow these simple steps and you will surely create an engagement session that really highlights you and your fiancé’s personalities. 🙂
- Go shopping! An engagement session is the perfect excuse for a little shopping spree! Whether it be a fun top, dangly earrings or a colorful dress, it’s always a confidence boost to wear a new outfit. Also, most of my couples bring a few different outfit changes to their session just to mix things up!
- Professional hair & makeup: How often do you get to be completely beautified for pictures? Again, confidence is the key to gorgeous photos, so leave it to the professionals to bring out your best, most awesome selves! Men should try to be clean shaven or recently trimmed if they have a beard. Nails should also be clean or freshly painted in case I get in close for those detail shots. I always recommend the ladies pamper themselves a little and make an appointment at Dry Bar the day-of to get their hair blow dried and styled before the shoot. It’s only $35 and it’s a really fun experience. However, if you choose to do your own hair and makeup try and remember these simple tips: The camera photographs makeup much more subtley than it looks in real life. So don’t be afraid to add a little more than you’re used to.
- Tell YOUR story: When preparing for your engagement shoot, remember you and your fiancé are the stars! Take advantage of this opportunity to make this shoot a true reflection of your one-of-a-kind relationship. I’ve had couples bring their pets, cool props, fun clothing accessories, or pick a unique location or activity that holds a special meaning to them. To help get inspired, many of my couples look at wedding blogs, magazines, photos, etc. Whatever helps you to narrate your story. The sky is the limit!
- Have fun & RELAX! The most important thing to remember during your engagement shoot is to have fun and RELAX. If being in front of the camera makes you a little queasy, the best thing to do is to focus on your honey. Engagement photos are meant to be casual and fun, so enjoy the time you are spending together, and the rest will fall perfectly into place.
- Some tips on clothing: When choosing your outfits, try to pick pieces that compliment each other. This absolutely does NOT mean you need to match. In fact, it’s much better that you don’t look the same. Think about it, would you normally leave your house in matching purple shirts? I didn’t think so. 😉 Try to stay away from all black or all white. Those colors can sometimes loose detail when photographed. Colors are always fun! We want you (the awesome subject) to POP from the background. Also, stear clear of logos or letters on clothing that can be too distracting. Last but not least, make sure your clothing is clean and pressed!
Here are some outfit examples to give you a better idea: